Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Polygamist at Wingers.

Today at work was one of the scariest days at wingers I've ever had. At first I was having a good day, I had a big table in the back and made some good money and some guys came in and left me a good tip as well. So far I haven't really liked wingers but I was thinking today would be differernt. Well, three people came in at about one oclock. One guy and his two wifes. I used to have polygamist that lived by me in Lehi but I don't think that I ever really talked to them because I was to little and didnt understand. Well, I was going to seat them in Coles section because it was his turn, but he said "would you mind taking them? I have a friend coming in"...which I am beginning to think was a big fat lie! So I took them, and of course I was all happy and nice to them, I didn't think they would be any different then other people so I treated them the same as any other table. Well, when I was asking them for drinks I looked right at one of the girls (they looked about my age!) and asked her if she wanted a raspberry lemonade and she said "yes, that will be fine" As I walked away the guy sittng across from her glared and he looked so mad. I asked a friend at work why and she said they aren't usually supposed to talk without his permission. I was so stunned. I couldn't believe that women in that sort of situation were treated so poorly. After that I was so scared to go down there because I didn't want to do somethng wrong and have him get made at me, or his wives he was with. After a while they left and I was still really bugged by what had happened.
The guy on the right is named Rulon Jeffs, the father of Waren Jeffs, he once ruled over around 10,000 before he died.
When I got home I looked up on the internet some interesting facts on polygamy...
*The women usually are married by the age of 14 and only get up to an 8th grade education
*Many polygamist men believe they must have 3 wifes in order to be let into heaven.
*The wives don't usually have anytime for themselves or alone with their husbands.
*It is very hard to get out of a polygamist community, the women are watched all the time and if they try to leave and get caught they will separate them from their families.
I think polygamy is so sad and I hope that one day the wifes that want to get out of the abusive and overlooked wifes can and that they can live a normal life.

1 comment:

Sammy D said...

OH my gosh. I seriously can't understand why a guy would believe that he had to have three wives to get into heaven. Sick sick sick.